Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tiny Juvenile Scorpion Fish on our House Reef


So just the other morning I was out on our house reef doing some coral gardening with the coral frames. A manta ray could swim past me and I wouldn’t see it as I am so zoned in on what I am doing! However, I did notice the teeny tiniest scorpion fish, it was so cute and about the size of my thumb nail… and I have small hands!!! I actually thought it was a piece of rubble as it was so well camouflaged and just blended in with its background but then it started to jump towards me. After a closer look I realized that it was in fact a juvenile scorpion fish, very cool but also very poisonous. I think I must have disturbed it as it looked somewhat grumpy but then these fish always do. 

Scorpion fish are members of the family Scorpaenidae, which includes lionfish and stonefish. This group of predatory fish are found amongst coral reefs and contain many of the world’s most venomous species. The Reef Stonefish is actually the most venomous fish in the world. All are predators equipped with toxic venom in their dorsal spines which can give a nasty sting. I doubt this one so small could give me a nasty sting but I didn’t want to find out all the same!

Scorpion fish are very cool looking fish so its always nice to see them on the reef. Their body is often covered in feathery fins or tassels or warts that help the fish camouflage itself into the surrounding background. They are hard to spot at the best of times but one this tiny…. I was lucky to see it at all. We call them ambush predators as they sit perfectly camouflaged on the reef waiting for a meal to swim past. They can attack at lightening speed often catching small fish by surprise. They stun their prey with their venom before sucking it up and eating it… nice! Due to their amazing camouflage and toxic defensive spines scorpion have few natural predators. Their biggest threat is actually being caught for the aquarium trade or habitat loss from the destruction of coral reefs.

It’s not a fish that I often see at the best of times so I doubt I will see this little one again when I am back on the house reef… but you never know :) 





                      Adult Scorpion fish in comparison - such amazing camouflage. 
                                                         What a cool looking fish




1 comment: